1) Vision- Do you picture a solo guitarist playing jazz classics? A dance troop performing Celtic traditional numbers? A DJ playing your iPod playlist? Or a full band rockin' the dance floor? This is a personal decision that only you and your other planners have creative sway over. What would make your day exactly like you dreamed?
2) Budget- You can get entertainment in every price bracket (yes, even free) and usually you get what you pay for. The way you know if you're getting good value is by getting price quotes from multiple options and comparing them. Many entertainers can tailor their budget to your needs too, so make sure you are comparing apples to apples. If one band is charging way more or less than another, ask them why and consider what the differences are. A big expensive band may have a smaller more affordable version available, and likewise a small band can add players, singers, lights and bigger sound to match. Talent and experience are also factors here. Always search for reviews and quotes from people who have hired the band.
3) Availability- Make sure you mention your event date when getting a quote. You want to make sure your entertainers are available. If your dates are set in stone, you'll want to book your top choice ASAP.
4) Reliability - You want to know your event will be as stress free as possible. How do you know your entertainment will show up on time, looking sharp, sounding tight and providing the services they promised? Most importantly, trust your gut. If they aren't responding to your messages in a timely manner or don't seem to be placing great importance on your event that's a red flag. Secondly, get a contract signed. The contract should state what's included, how long the performance will be, and what the payment arrangement is. This way there's no confusion on the details and everyone feels secure that the night will go as planned. Email me for a sample contract if you're curious.
5) Word of mouth- Ask around! Talk to your coworkers, friends and family about any similar events they've been to lately that had great entertainment.
The right fit for you is out there and can't wait to perform for you.
Making events fun and stress free,
Lead singer, Cakewalkband.com